Follow up on “Recycled Windows of Conversation”

Update 01/14/18 – this piece is now named “Recycled Windows” and the Artist Statement and photos are posted on the Improvisational Textiles website on the Tierney Davis Hogan page. It was added to the Recycled Denim Stories series.

This post is a follow up to my December 10th post What’s on the Design Wall where I shared my piece Recycled Windows of Conversation in progress.

I completed the machine quilting this art quilt made from all recycled materials (clothing, home decor, see previous post for more details). I took several quick photos for his post and later on plan to take higher quality photos:

2017-12-16_16-22-55_366.jpeg

Here is a close up of the machine quilting. I used three different threads: orange, blue and variegated gold.

2017-12-14_08-56-36_515.jpeg

This piece will join the Recycled Denim Stories series shown on the Improvisational Textiles website once I write the Artist Statement.

Postscript

Recently we lost Terry the Quilting Husband’s (TTQH) mom, our beloved Mom Hogan. She was my very beloved mother-in-law for many years and I fell in love with her as an awesome mother figure back when I was first dating TTQH a zillion years ago!

When my mother died while I was in my 20s, she said “Well now I will be your Mom now” (I know that sounds slightly strange as that would make TTQH and I siblings, but you understand the sentiment behind her statement I am sure!)

She was also a quilter, as are TTQH’s incredible two sisters.

I was so pleased when TTQH began quilting a couple of years ago, and one of the first quilts he made he sent to his Mom as a surprise gift. It was pretty awesome to know she was snuggled up in one of his quilts during the cold Upstate NY winter.

She passed at 98 and had a full and wonderful life filled with 7 loving children, grandchildren and a great  grandchild. However she will be so greatly missed. I may take a break from blogging on and off as I deal with my personal grief and of course support TTQH is his grief.

40 thoughts on “Follow up on “Recycled Windows of Conversation”

1. Sue says:

Tierney, a M-I-L can be as much a mother as any other. My own lived to 100 years. I still miss her, as I do my own mom who passed only this year. The holidays are different without them. Blessings.

Liked by 1 person

2. Sparkle On with Abbie says:

Your quilting has the perfect movement for “Windows of Conversation.”
    Tierney, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your mother-in-law and TTQH’s mother. It is so special that she embraced you as her own. Take care of yourself and each other, you are in my thoughts. ~Abbie

Liked by 1 person

3. Gray Barn Designs says:

Tierney and Terry,
    I am so sorry to hear that you have lost Mom Hogan and Sassy within such a short period of time. I know you will mourn for both of them in very different ways but I also know they have left you with wonderful memories of lives well lived. Sassy has already started to organize the mini Schnauzers on the other side of the rainbow bridge, I am sure of it! I hope in time your hearts will heal. xo

Liked by 1 person

4. handmade habit says:

My sincerest condolences, Tierney, for the recent loss of two beloved members of your family. I’m saddened to hear the news. As one of her readers, I’ve enjoyed getting to know Sassy and sharing in a bit of her everyday life – know that she’ll very much be missed and remembered. Sending my hugs and wishing you both good memories during this difficult time. ❤

Liked by 1 person

5. crawcraftsbeasties says:

Oh Tierney, I’m so sorry! This December must really have been tough on you… Two losses in such a short time. My thoughts are with you and TTQH, and I hope both of you are keeping well. That’s a lovely quilt, too… It makes me think of the houses you see in Norway, for some reason 🤔 Look after yourselves, and I hope you’re able to join us again soon 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• tierneycreates says:

Thanks so much for your thoughtful words! Each day gets better and I am soon ready to return to my blog and I have worked on some crafts as part of my healing. I have never been to Norway, the only Scandi country I have visited is Denmark but I am going to google Norwegian houses to see what you reference. 🙂

• crawcraftsbeasties says:

Yes, I think it’s something to do with the colours – that rich denim blue and deep rusty orange seem to be popular colours for houses, along with bright red and mustard yellow. It makes everywhere look so cheerful! I’m glad to hear things are picking up with you again… I saw you have a new post up, so I’m off to check it out now!

Liked by 1 person