Continuing my series of posts about the annual May quilting retreat I attended with my Quilting Sisters in Vancouver, WA May 17 – 20. To read my previous posts about quilting retreats I’ve attended, see my post category – Retreats.
Pulling Out the Old UFOs
For this May’s annual quilting retreat I pulled out some old unfinished objects/projects (UFOs) or as my blogging buddy Shirley @ handmadehabit calls them – “STRANDED” projects.
Those of you who have followed my blog a long time (I mean a long time) – do you remember this project and post from August 2016 “What’s on the Design Wall (Need Your Help)“:
As well as the follow up post: “What’s on the Design Wall: Your Ideas“.
So many readers provided great suggestions on the color of setting fabric for these “log jam” (freestyle log cabin) blocks. Alas, I could not make up my mind and eventually put the blocks away.
I bought the blocks to the retreat to make them into pillow covers!
In Need of Pillow Covers
We have four (4) cozy fleece pillows in the living room that we used in the late Fall, Winter and early Spring but they would be strange to use in the late Spring and Summer:
I decided to use the log jam blocks to create Summer pillow colors for the four pillows and started assembling the pillow tops at the retreat:
Between the retreat and last week, I completed four pillow tops:
Next step is to quilt the pillows tops and then add envelope backs.
I have some already quilted fabric left over from another project to use in the back:
Here is one of the pillow tops awaiting quilting:
I used up all my already pieced blocks from 2016 and used the rest of the remaining batik fabric scraps from the project to make additional blocks for the four pillows, each made with 16 blocks.
I will of course share photos in a future post of the completed pillow covers, covering the existing fleece pillows!
UPDATE 05/29/18 – one reader asked the size of the pillows – they are approximately 23″ x 23″ each.
I completed the pillow top from scrap 2.5″ squares:
I decided not to quilt the pillow top but instead added fusible interfacing. I made an envelope style back and here is the completed pillow on my studio chair: